I love Egg McMuffins, but I never eat them. Too fattening.
But I’ve come up with a breakfast sandwich of my own that is–to say the least–is both tasty and low calorie and low fat.
I use the “light English muffins” that come as a store brand. Under $2.00 for a package. One reason for this choice, however, is they are higher in fiber than many other brands of English muffins: 9 grams. And just 90 calories.
Then there’s the Sargento’s reduced fat Swiss cheese, which is made with 2% milk and weighs in at 30 calories for the half slice I use. I buy the nine-per-package and use only half a slice.
I don’t have a turkey bacon package to check, but I’m sure one slice of that is no more than 40 calories.
Then comes the egg: egg whites that are 25 calories per serving.
Finally is the no-fat, no-calories spray margarine.
Were you keeping track? Just under 200 calories for a filling and tasty breakfast sandwich.
Here are the steps.
- Tear the English muffin apart and toast it
- Tear one strip of turkey bacon in half, wrap the two pieces flat in a paper tower, and microwave for 30-35 seconds. Even if you prefer crispy bacon, you don’t want this bacon crumbling and falling out.
- Spray the muffin with the margarine and put one piece of Swiss cheese on each half of the muffin as soon as possible after toasting. That helps to melt the cheese just a tad. Lay one piece of turkey bacon on top of each piece of cheese.
- Spray a ramekin or similar dish with cooking spray and pour one serving of egg whites in. Microwave 50-55 seconds. Sometimes the result is nice and flat on top, but sometimes it’s quite odd-shaped. Tastes great either way.
- Remove the egg with a fork (or whatever) and place it on either side of the English muffin.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat and enjoy.
I used to use a Jimmy Dean product, turkey sausage crumbles rather than the turkey bacon, but our grocery store has quit carrying it.
Have a favorite recipe? How about sharing it in a comment?
I’ll be back again on Wednesday. If you’d like to receive my posts by email, go to “Follow Blog via Email” at the upper right.
“On Aging Gracelessly” is only one of my two blogs. I post lyrics of the Christian songs I’ve written over the last fifty years on “As I Come Singing.” Check it out HERE if you’re interested. Free lead sheets (tune, words, and chords) are available for many of them. View the list HERE.
If you enjoy my writing, you’ll find a number of things to read on my website. Also music to listen to and music-related videos to watch.
My new novel, The Devil and Pastor Gus, is out now. If you’re interested, please check it out at Amazon.